If you were assigned to make a case study summary in law, here is what you need to do. You need to keep in mind about the purposes of what you are writing because it is a way in forcing yourself to ask questions on how to summarize a case study, what you will include and what you will leave out.
How to Summarize a Case Study
- Citation: It is important to practice proper citation when it comes to case study summary. Citation provides important details about the case such as where it can be located. When you like to make reference, it is better when you properly cite the case.
- Nature of the case: You need to provide a brief statement of the nature of the case. It answers the question why there is a legal action, nature of that action and remedies brought about. You need to understand the case so that you will know what the nature of it is.
- Facts: When it comes to case study in law, you need to get the facts. It is necessary to provide a succinct statement about the main legal issues. In some cases, there are provided facts wherein it’s usually at the beginning of the decision.
- Issue: Your summary must contain a clear statement about the issue. You need to resolve a dispute of the parties. It must needs to include about identification. In many cases, there is only one issue. When it comes to this part, it must not longer than a sentence.
- Rule of law: Make sure to get the general principle of law that will illustrate the case.
- Decision: You need to get what is the decision. For instance, you should explain how the court applied such or depending on the case study you are reading, it is important to end it with a great conclusion.
It is not easy to make a summary of case study as well as lecture summary because you need to understand it completely. When you fail to do it, then do not expect that you have a good summary with how the original passage is presented. As much as possible, read the case study multiple times to get the meaning, what is talking about and other important issues you need for your summary.